"Rally for Solar!"
Rally in Salem for solar-positive legislation
Rally for Solar!
May 10, 2011 @ Noon
Salem, Oregon – State Capital Building
With a full-scale nuclear disaster ongoing in Japan, a surge in oil prices, and gasoline hitting $4 a gallon all across America, it is time for SOLAR energy to rise up as a significant, clean, and powerful component in America’s energy policy.
Recently, President Obama and Oregon Governor Kitzhaber announced the need for change in our nation’s energy policy, and they both look to clean and renewable energy as key to our future roadmap. This is the promise of SOLAR energy, so now is the time to act!
In March a small group of solar advocates and solar professionals met in Salem and pledged to plan and support a more ambitious rally to publicly vocalize our position and objectives. This rally is a result, and we hope that Solar Oregon members and the public at large will show up and demonstrate their love for SOLAR!
Rally in Salem to support SOLAR in Oregon
WHEN: Tuesday, May 10th @ Noon
WHERE: Oregon State Capital steps*
This rally will be a great opportunity to publicly state our case to the legislature, the media, and our fellow citizens that:
- SOLAR power is THE cleanest option for distributed generation of energy.
- Clean and renewable SOLAR power must be a keystone of America’s energy policy.
- We require ACTION now to ensure that Oregon incentives stay in place or are extended/expanded to foster growth in the region.
- SOLAR power and the SOLAR industry has the right to a fair, competitive environment.
The fossil fuel industries have received tens of billions of dollars in subsidies from the federal government for decades. In addition, fossil fuel industries are protected from bearing the full social costs of the pollution they produce. The solar energy industry and the public expect a fair playing field, with all energy sources evaluated based on their full, life-cycle costs and benefits to society. Therefore it is critical that solar energy receive the same level of support, for the same duration, as the fossil fuel industry.**
- Addressing Climate Change is a major solution to creating green collar jobs!
If this compels you to participate in some way, please contact Ron “Mac” McDowell at 503-488-5546 - or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org - to sign-up. We’re looking into ride-share coordination and/or group transportation from the Portland metro area to Salem for this event.
Call to Action
· Meet on the Capital steps in Salem at Noon – May 10, 2011
· Bring a sign, noise-maker, company banner or whatever
· Share this announcement with your network(s)
· RSVP: If you want to ride-share or travel as a group to this event
* Oregon State Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97301
** Cited from the “Solar Bill of Rights” sponsored by SEIA. See http://www.solarbillofrights.us/
- Ron “Mac” McDowell
Solar Oregon Board Member