Answers to typical question brought up during the Solarize projects.
Some of these questions and answers are specific to those participating in a "Solarize" project.
If you do not see your question here please see our Residential FAQs for further and more indepth solar questions.
1. Is my home right for solar?
2. Can I participate in a solarize program if I am not a homeowner?
3. I pay very little in the way of taxes. Can I realize the tax credit benefits?
4. What are the incentives for weatherization projects?
5. Do I qualify for Energy Trust of Oregon Incentives?
6. What products are available?
7. Do I need to be tied to the grid to participate in a Solarize project?
8. Can I still participate if I have an older roof?
9. How long will the installation process take?
10. Can I put solar panels on my garage?
11. What is net metering?
12. How does solar electricity work?
13. If I have solar panels, will I have electricity when the power goes out?
14. What if I produce more energy than I use?
15. Is Oregon sunny enough for solar?
16. Can I install panels on my rental property?
17. How much will the system weigh?
18. Do I need a permit from the city?
19. Will my system be covered by my homeowner's insurance?
20. Will my taxes go up if I install solar?
21. Can my HOA prevent me from installing a solar array on my property?
22. How much space do I need on my roof?
23. Does my roof material matter?
24. What are watts, kilowatts and kilowatt hours?
25. I am a homeowner, but I live in attached housing. Can I still participate?
26. Can I put solar on my roof if I live in a Portland conservation or heritage district?